Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day Breakfast: Raspberry Pancakes

  The Valentine's Day Chicken makes an appearance at our house every year, leaving tiny boxes of chocolates and conversation hearts for all of the good girls and boys in the Cromar household.  And if that isn't enough, Mom makes fabulous holiday food.

A confession:  I adore holidays.  Their existence makes the rest of life, a series of endless repetitions and routines, bearable.  I mark them on the calendar, big ones and small ones,  and plan decorations, activities, and treats accordingly. 

This year's Valentine's Day was a good excuse to try out a new recipe for Raspberry Pancakes.  (The original recipe is at TheKitchn.com, here. I loved this recipe.  It had all of the heartiness of whole wheat combined with the tasty, tartness of raspberries mixed in.  A couple of notes:  I didn't have plain yogurt on hand, so I used some leftover light sour cream, which worked just fine.  Rather than using the blender, I used my egg beaters in a bowl--this was to save on bowls.  I just sifted the dry ingredients over the top of the wet and then folded them together all in the same bowl.  I also decided against cutting them into heart shapes, as cute as that would be, because I'm not a super big fan of waste. 

This recipe got seven big thumbs up.  Even my picky eater came back for seconds... and thirds.  It was a great start to the holiday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment